Finding My True North

Just this past month, I was given the opportunity to become a Young Adult Volunteer (YAV). Honestly, I did not know exactly what to expect. I knew that this would be a new chapter for me, but I did not realize how much I would learn in such a short time.

My first journey with my fellow YAVs was during the last week of August until the first week of September, when we gathered for our YAV retreat. It was our first time being together, and somehow, those days felt like the beginning of something special.

I met so many amazing and wonderful people. We came from different places, had different experiences, and carried different stories, but we shared something in common: our passion to serve God and our communities.




What really inspired me was seeing the different personalities and spirits of my fellow YAVs. Everyone had something unique to offer. Their passion and willingness to serve made me reflect on myself too. They reminded me that there is always room to grow and that sometimes, meeting people who are passionate about something can also awaken something within you.

Of course, the retreat was not all about serious conversations and activities.

Some of my favorite memories were actually the simple ones. Those nights when we played games, laughed at each other's jokes, shared stories, and just enjoyed being together. There were moments when we were simply being young people, laughing and having fun without thinking too much about what was happening next.

Looking back, I think those moments were important too.

They helped us become comfortable with each other. They turned strangers into friends. And little by little, we became more than just a group of volunteers. We became a community.

One activity that really stayed with me was called “Finding Your True North.”



The activity was about discovering our individual values and understanding what truly matters to us. It made me think about where my own values came from.

I realized that our values are shaped by so many things—our experiences, our struggles, the people we love, and especially the people we choose to protect.

Our values become a kind of compass. They help us decide what is right for us when life becomes confusing. They remind us of who we are when we lose our sense of direction.

And while reflecting on my own values, I also realized how much faith is connected to my journey.

Faith, for me, is not about having all the answers. Sometimes, faith is simply trusting even when I don't know what will happen next. It is choosing to move forward even when the path is uncertain.

I know that this journey as a YAV will not always be easy. There will probably be moments when I feel tired, confused, or unsure if what I am doing is enough. But I hope my faith will remind me that I don't have to understand everything at once.

Sometimes, we just need to trust and take the next step.

Another activity during the retreat challenged us to look at the issues happening around the world. As we talked and shared our thoughts, so many problems came up—poverty, hunger, corruption, inequality, rapid technological advancement, and many others.

What struck me was how, despite coming from different places, we could still relate to many of the same issues.

Our communities may be different, but many of the problems we face are connected.

That realization made me think about what it really means to be a YAV.

Maybe we are not here because we already know how to solve everything. Maybe we are here because we are willing to listen, learn, participate, and become part of the solution.

We cannot solve poverty, hunger, corruption, or the other problems of the world overnight. Sometimes, the things we can do may feel very small.

But I am beginning to believe that small does not mean insignificant.

Change can begin with a simple decision to care.

It can begin with listening to someone.

It can begin with helping one person.

It can begin with speaking when something is wrong.

It can begin with changing something within ourselves.

Because before change can grow into something bigger, it has to start somewhere. And maybe that starting point is within us.

When I think about our retreat now, I realize that it was more than just a week of activities and learning. It was a beginning.

A beginning of friendships.

A beginning of reflection.

A beginning of understanding the world a little differently.

And a beginning of understanding myself.



I still have so much to learn. I don't have all the answers, and I know I will make mistakes along the way. But I am grateful for the people I met, the laughter we shared, the conversations we had, and the lessons we carried with us.

To my fellow YAVs, I hope that what we learned during those days stays with us as we begin this new chapter.

I hope we remember the laughter when the work becomes difficult. I hope we remember our values when we feel lost. And I hope we remember our faith when we are uncertain about what comes next.

Most of all, I hope we never forget our True North—the values, people, faith, and purpose that guide us.

Our journey has only just begun.

And I am grateful that I get to walk this journey with all of you. 

Comments